6 Simple Tips to Increase Your Fertility
Did you know that there are simple things you can do to help increase the chances that you will become pregnant? These tips to increase your fertility can help prepare you for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy life. Applying them now, when you are trying to conceive, will give you the chance to create a healthier lifestyle that will benefit you and your future baby for years to come. The following lifestyle changes will help you on the path to health and wellness, which can increase your chances of becoming pregnant.
- Eat a Whole Foods Diet. Whole foods are foods that are as close to nature as possible. Vegetables, fruits, meats, dairy, and legumes should be eaten in an unprocessed state, without the addition of all the harmful stuff added by most food manufacturers. Processed, commercially made foods contain numerous preservatives, chemical flavorings and colors, sugars, salts, and fats that are harmful to your body. Fresh or frozen organic produce, meats, and dairy are the ideal diet and will help you maintain good gut health, which, in turn, will allow you to properly digest and absorb the nutrients in your food. When your body gets the right nutrients, it can work in an optimal manner.
- Adequate Supplementation. Most of us can no longer expect to get all the vital nutrients the body needs from the foods we eat—even if we buy organic, free-range products—because modern agricultural practices have depleted soils of beneficial minerals and nutrients. You may be deficient in some vitamins and minerals, with magnesium, Vitamin D, calcium, potassium, iron, and folate deficiencies being the most common. Talk to your doctor about whether supplementation is right for you
- Exercise. Americans in general are not getting enough exercise because of our sedentary lifestyles. Moderate exercise such as walking or gentle aerobics two or three times a week has been shown to decrease the chances of heart disease, stroke, and blood clots. Just as importantly, exercise that raises your heart rate flushes toxins out of your system, improves digestive processes, and lifts your mood. Find an exercise that you enjoy, such as walking, swimming, gardening, cycling, yoga, or aerobics (or another type of exercise of your choice) and do it two or three times a week. Talk to your doctor about how much exercise you should do while you are trying to conceive, since overexercising is not recommended and may interfere with certain fertility procedures.
- Get to a Healthy Weight. Being overweight or obese can inhibit your fertility, and so can being underweight. Eating nutritious foods and getting moderate exercise can often help you get to a healthy weight, whether you need to lose it or gain it. If you have struggled with your weight, your doctor can give you more suggestions and offer further options for getting to the weight that is right for your body.
- Limit Caffeine. Multiple studies suggest that drinking excessive coffee per day or consuming high amounts of other sources of caffeine can decrease the chances of getting pregnant. The Mayo Clinic recommends that pregnant women limit caffeine to 200 mg per day, and this is a reasonable limit for women who are trying to conceive as well. While caffeine’s affect upon fertility is still not fully understood, it’s a good idea to limit your caffeine consumption or eliminate it altogether both during the time you are trying to get pregnant and during pregnancy.
- Eliminate Tobacco, Alcohol, and Recreational Drugs. Tobacco, alcohol, and recreational drugs all have negative effects on a woman’s body as she is trying to get pregnant and can have even more serious affects upon the long-term health and viability of the fetus. For men, these substances can also lower sperm count and make sperm less viable.
The Santa Monica Clinic specializes in helping couples overcome fertility issues and achieving their dreams of having a baby. We view the patient as a whole, treating both the mind and body through a variety of complementary therapies. Schedule an appointment today to begin learning your options on the road to becoming parents.
Contact SMF Today