If you’re considering using a surrogacy agency to start your family, you no doubt have many questions about how to find a surrogate, the cost of surrogacy, who can become a surrogate and how are surrogates screened. Most importantly, you want to be sure your chosen surrogate will provide a healthy environment for your developing baby while being fully aware of her responsibilities to you. These requirements make it important for your surrogate to undergo a thorough and detailed surrogate screening process.
Every surrogate at Premium Surrogacy undergoes an extensive surrogate medical, psychological, and socio-economic screening process to ensure they are in the best possible physical and mental health, as well as living in a stable, safe, and nurturing environment. In most cases, all this happens before we share surrogate profiles with our intended parents. We are strict in our selection process accepting less than 5% of surrogate applicants. We communicate with potential surrogates regularly throughout the screening and matching process to ensure they meet our standards of care.
Surrogacy epigenetics and the uterine environment surrounding the baby during the pregnancy matters. These factors include the stability of the surrogate’s home life and her social support system. We carefully vet all our surrogates to ensure your baby not only has a healthy surrogate, but that the environment around the baby and surrogate is optimal. Before you choose a surrogate, learn about our surrogate medical screening process and how we ensure you have access to the best surrogates possible.
Why does screening matter when choosing a surrogate?
A comprehensive surrogate screening process is critical to choosing a surrogate mother. Here’s why:
- A quicker, less stressful process: Prescreening prospective surrogates allows for faster matches with intended parents. Because we have socially, psychologically, and medically screened our surrogates, you’ll be able to spend more time getting to know them during the matching process while avoiding the disappointment of your chosen surrogate failing the screening process.
- Peace of mind: Our strict standards for physical and mental health in our surrogates provide you with peace of mind throughout the process of choosing a surrogate mother and during the pregnancy itself. Being certain your surrogate has a stable living environment gives you the confidence that comes from knowing your baby will develop in healthy and safe surroundings.
- Great parent-surrogate relationships: We pre-select surrogates for you who align with your family’s profile and goals. Pre-selection helps ensure you and your surrogate are on the same page regarding how often you interact, what to do if the baby wants to meet the surrogate one day, and how much information can be shared at birth.
Who can become a surrogate mother?
Many of our clients wonder how our screening standards determine who can become a surrogate for our program. Before we begin our in-depth evaluation of an application, we require potential surrogates to meet the following prerequisites:
- 40 years old or less.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- Should have a healthy body weight and be a non-smoker.
- Must have given birth to and be raising at least one child.
- Cannot have a criminal record, nor can her spouse or partner.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident and live in a state with surrogacy friendly laws.
After confirming an applicant meets these initial prerequisites, we screen for medical conditions and other issues that might interfere with a successful surrogacy process. In addition, a licensed social worker assesses the surrogate’s home to confirm it is a healthy and safe environment in which to experience pregnancy.
The surrogate medical and environmental screening process
Premium Surrogacy’s multi-step screening process for surrogates helps make your journey to parenthood a more secure and enjoyable one. Our screening process breaks down into three major steps:
- Pre-screening, Background Check, and Review of Medical Records
As part of the initial application process, a potential surrogate, along with her partner or spouse, must consent to a full background check. She also consents to a review of her medical records by a Premium Surrogacy physician. If we decide to move forward with her application, we schedule a phone meeting between our staff and the candidate so all parties can ask questions and begin to build a working relationship.
- Medical, Perinatal, and Psychological Screening
At this stage we begin a more in-depth evaluation of the candidate. She undergoes a complete medical evaluation by our physicians to determine her overall health and ability to carry a healthy pregnancy to term. A high-risk obstetrician carries out a final medical assessment. A psychologist evaluates the potential surrogate to determine if she is emotionally and mentally prepared for a surrogacy journey.
- Home Assessment
One of the last steps in the surrogate screening process is a home review by a licensed social worker. During the home assessment, we talk with the candidate and her family. We make sure her home and neighborhood will be a safe, healthy, and happy place for her during the pregnancy.
Should a surrogacy applicant make it through our screening process, she signs a six-month contract with Premium Surrogacy. During this time, she can only act as a surrogate through our service. The contract provides us with enough time to match intended parents with the surrogate.
What can disqualify someone for surrogacy?
Certain issues are immediate disqualifications for surrogacy. These issues include:
- Recreational drug use
- Non US-citizen/permanent resident
- Lack of history of healthy pregnancies
- Medical conditions that may affect a pregnancy
- Felony charges
In other areas we can be flexible during the surrogate screening process and will review on an individual basis.
Learn more about the women who want to help you achieve your goal of parenthood by visiting our surrogate profiles page. While only example profiles of our numerous surrogates appear on this page, it gives you an idea of what you can expect as you move forward in your journey toward parenthood.
Want to find out more?
Surrogacy can seem overwhelming. We make the process easier by ensuring all parties involved are carefully prepared. This includes screening our surrogate candidates. When you work with Premium Surrogacy, you’ll know your surrogate has passed one of the most thorough screening processes in the industry.
If you are ready to begin your surrogacy process or have questions and would like to speak to someone, contact us online or call us at (310) 566-1470.
Visit our website to learn more about the cost of surrogacy, surrogacy contracts and what the process entails. Please review our Surrogacy FAQ page for a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions by intended parents and our blog ‘Does A Surrogate Share DNA With The Baby?’ will provide useful information around surrogacy epigenetics.